Tersus Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceuticals firm in Cleveland, Ohio, developed the science behind Provinal™–an ultrapurified form of Omega 7 (Palmitoleic acid)–that has been shown to possess broad properties for cardiovascular health.
CLEVELAND – October 17, 2012 – Dr. Michael Roizen, Chairman of the Wellness Institute at the Cleveland Clinic has joined Tersus Pharmaceuticals–a Cleveland-based Biopharmaceutical company that has commercialized a new heart healthy fatty acid–as Chairman of its Scientific Advisory Board.
Tersus Pharmaceuticals has been conducting research & development with Omega 7 Palmitoleic Acid, the next generation of Omega fatty acids that have been shown to possess broad properties to combat diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and atherosclerosis.
According to Dr. Roizen, this is exciting news because “Purified Omega 7 at least in animals and in epidemiological studies, and some early intervention studies in man “antagonizes” diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and atherosclerosis by decreasing insulin resistance, decreasing hepatic fat accumulation, and decreasing chronic inflammation – without evident side effects.”
“With the development of Provinal™ and the other Omega 7 Palmitoleic Acid products under development, Tersus Pharmaceuticals has placed itself squarely in the middle of the fight against diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and atherosclerosis. I’m very excited that this great work originated–and is being conducted–right here in Cleveland.”
“This could have a huge benefit for our populations as a whole because metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and diabetes are big things we need to tackle for us to be more competitive for jobs, and the United States to be more competitive as a society. We need more studies, but this could really be a great addition—that’s why I joined Tersus Pharmaceuticals—to see if we could get more data on the benefits and risks of purified omega-7.” said Dr. Roizen.
Tersus Pharmaceuticals is a Cleveland, Ohio-based Biopharmaceuticals company, the mission of which is to discover, develop and commercialize “nutrients for living.” In early 2010, Tersus Pharmaceuticals was a recipient of Therapeutic Discovery Grant to Support Groundbreaking Biomedical Research.
About Michael F. Roizen, MD
Michael F. Roizen, MD, is the Chief Wellness Officer and Chairman of The Wellness Institute at the Cleveland Clinic where he is striving to elevate preventive care and wellness to a driving role in medicine and society by radically improving health and decreasing wellness costs spiritually, physically and economically.
Among Dr. Roizen’s many accomplishments, he co-founded six companies including RealAge sold to Hearst in 2007; co-invented a drug approved by the FDA in April 2008; co-wrote three medical bestsellers and four number one New York Times bestsellers (the YOU series books and RealAge) and formerly served as chair of a Food and Drug Administration advisory committee, as well as editor of six medical journals.
He and Dr. Mehmet Oz co-write the daily “YOU Docs” columns syndicated to 76 newspapers in North America and similar columns in four magazines.
Tersus Pharmaceuticals ~ Business Facts:
- Founded in Cleveland, Ohio in 2010.
- Recipient of Therapeutic Discovery Grant for Ground Breaking Medical Research in 2010.
- Cleveland Clinic Research Trials in 2010 ~ Provinal™ Omega 7 Fatty Acids clinically shown to increase HDL cholesterol levels and to attack metabolic syndrome (triad of cholesterol/inflammation, insulin resistance, and obesity)
- Provinal™ achieved GRAS Certification in December 2011. Securing the services of the reputable AIBMR Life Sciences, Inc. group to certify that purified palmitoleic acid as Generally Recognized As Safe.
- Launched Cardia 7 through Basic Organics in February 2012.
About Provinal™ Purified Omega 7 fatty acids
- Provinal™ Purified Omega 7 fatty acids are purified to express high levels (50% and upwards) of palmitoleic acid (C16:1n7). Future concentrations are projected to be 90% or more.
- Especially formulated to remove palmitic acid, a saturated fatty acid that has been shown to have toxic effects on pancreatic beta cells (the cells responsible for secreting insulin), leading to a greater chance for insulin resistance and subsequent development of diabetes. Note: many, many foods and products contain palmitic acid (it is the main reason nutritionists advise consumers to to avoid foods that are high in saturated fats).